Reading & Writing
Here are some fun alphabet books to read if you can find them:
· Alphabet House, by Nancy Elizabeth Wallace, Marshall, 2005 – wonderful Paper cut-out illustrations make this a fun book to review the alphabet as you can work together with your child to search through the rabbit family's house to find many items starting with every letter of the alphabet.
· Alphabet Mystery, by Audrey Wood and illustrated by Bruce Wood, The Blue Sky Press, 2003 – The main characters in this book are the little letters of Charley’s alphabet. One morning the letters wake up and realize the letter “x” is missing so they journey forth to find him and later convince him that he is important as he ends up playing an important part on a loving message on Charley’s birthday cake to him mother.
· Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, by Bill Martin Jr. and John Archambault and illustrated by Lois Ehlert, Aladdin Paperbacks, 1989 – The alphabet attempts to climb a coconut tree in this rhyming book.
· Food for Thought: The complete book of concepts for growing minds, written and illustrated by Saxton Freymann, Arthur A Levine Books, 2005 – This fun and unique book reviews shapes, colors, numbers, letters and opposites through clever photographs of vegetables in disguise (with faces, made into animals or objects etc.).
· Found Alphabet, written by Ramon Shindler and Wojciech Graniczewski and illustrated by Anita Andrzejewska and Andrzej Pilichowski-Ragno, Houghton Mifflin Company, 2005 – This is a fun one to flip through as the illustrations are photographs of pictures made from various objects found in an old house. The accompanying rhymes were written afterwards based on the art. All four creators of the book are from Poland.
Older siblings might enjoy these titles:
· Alphaboat, by Michael Chesworth, Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2002 – This rhyming book has the letters of the alphabet sailing away to find buried treasure. It is full of puns which would appeal to older kids already established in reading and spelling.
Copyright 2010. Family Theme Days. All rights reserved.
Go to the library or check reading apps to find alphabet books!